Does my profession qualify for your program?

Currently we accept only educated health professionals and cooks from several countries, including India and Philippines. Education and often experience are the key factors to get recognition from German authorities.

Health professionals should not expect more than nursing or assisting work until they improve their language skills to at least B1 level. Cooks will often have to work on their own, doing all or most of work in the kitchen.

Do I need to speak German?

A knowledge of German at minimum A2 level is required to practice the profession. This knowledge is confirmed solely with a Zertifikat DAF A2 issued by the Goethe-Institut. Other documents cannot substitute this certificate and cannot be recognized for this purpose. We will teach you in German using our proved language training methods and unique materials. Our task is to help you to get Zertifikat DAF A2 issued by the Goethe-Institut.

A knowledge of German at minimum A2 level applies among others to health professionals and cooks. Applicants will only obtain a job in these professions if they have the required knowledge of German. In Germany, you can continue learning German in the state-funded integration courses.

How to enter Germany?

You must apply for a visa from a German embassy or consulate before entering Germany. With regards to the reason for your visa application, you must declare your intended employment as the reason for your journey and your stay in Germany.

Basically, you must have already signed a contract of employment with an employer in Germany, or at least have been offered a permanent job.

If you have a degree and still haven’t found a job in Germany, you can also apply for a six-month job-seeker’s visa.

Who can get a job?

A comparison of your foreign professional qualifications with the requirements of that profession in Germany is particularly important if you intend to practice a regulated profession in Germany. Only people who have obtained the required professional qualifications or whose professional qualifications have been recognized are entitled to work in regulated professions and use the professional title. In Germany, regulated professions include those in the health and education sector (for example doctor or nurse).

In non-regulated professions (for example cook), however, you don’t need any formal recognition of your qualifications in order to practice your profession. In this case, you can also work in your profession in Germany without your qualifications having to be assessed. Having your qualifications verified is, however, useful, so that employers and companies can better assess your skills and knowledge.

How does the estimation work?

Once you’ve submitted your documents, the competent authorities will check whether there are any substantial differences between your foreign professional qualifications and German professional qualifications. If substantial differences are identified, they may be compensated by other qualifications or professional experience. If your documentation is not sufficient for your qualifications to be assessed, some professions may also undertake a qualifications analysis, e. g. using work samples or interviews.

What are the possible outcomes?

If no substantial differences are determined between your qualifications and German qualifications, you’ll be issued with a certificate confirming the full equivalence of your professional qualifications, or granted authorization to pursue the profession – provided you also satisfy any other conditions. This will allow you to practice your profession just as if you held German qualifications.

In the case of non-regulated professions, if the process identifies any substantial differences between your qualifications and German qualifications, you’ll receive a letter which accurately describes those differences. This will allow you to apply directly to employers or undertake the appropriate training. In the case of regulated professions, you may compensate for any differences. Depending on the profession, you must therefore complete an adaptation period or sit a professional exam.

How much does the process cost?

The fees are determined by the competent authority. You should therefore enquire about the likely cost before filing an application.

What documents do I need?

For recognition in regulated professions, you’ll sometimes require further documentation.

You should usually submit a German translation of your documents, together with a certified copy. Please enquire in advance as to whether you should commission a translation by an officially authorised translator.